The Jubilation Duo, ( Trumpet and Organ ) – Joel Cooper and Shean Bowers.
A regal Trumpet and Organ duo, specialising in performing Ancient music, Baroque favourites, and beautiful lyrical music for recitals, weddings, and ceremonies.
Joel Cooper is a professional trumpeter. He graduated from the Royal Northern College of Music in 2007 and since then has built up an impressive portfolio career.
He has performed trumpet with top International orchestras, including the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, the Halle, Manchester Camerata and Opera North. Outside of Britain, he has worked with the Australian National Ballet, the Australian Urban Circus, Lyon Opera Orchestra and he has toured with numerous show companies.
As a soloist, Joel Cooper is very comfortable with performing on a selection of instruments, including the Piccolo Trumpet, D Trumpet, Bb Trumpet, Cornet and Flugel-horn. This allows for a very varied and interesting Trumpet and Organ recital. He has given recitals in many Cathedrals and Churches nationwide, as well as in Concert Halls and at Arts Centres.
Highlights of Joel Cooper’s solo career include:-
- Playing a fanfare for the arrival of her Majesty the Queen at Whitworth Hall, (a Manchester University event) in 2008
- A performance of Malcolm Arnold’s ‘Fantasy for Trumpet’ at the ‘Conservatoire National Superieur de la Music et Danse’ in Lyon, France.
- Appearing as a soloist in ‘King Cotton’ (a new musical commissioned by the Southbank Centre in 2007).
- A performance of ‘The Trumpet Shall Sound’ (from Handel’s ‘Messiah’), at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral (Dec 2013) and Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral (Dec 2014)
- Recording Charpentier’s ‘Te Deum’, (piccolo trumpet and organ), for ‘The Christmas Service’ on BBC Radio 4 (broadcast live on Christmas morning 2013).
- Performing with the Inspired Brass Quintet as part of a live broadcast from Chester Cathedral for the Easter Service 2015, BBC Radio 4.
In 2014 Joel Cooper teamed up with the Assistant Director of Music at Bath Abbey, Shean Bowers, to give Trumpet and Organ recitals in Cathedrals and Churches. They have recently recorded their debut album, ‘Jubilation’. Joel Cooper also hopes to release a third Christmas album with the Inspired Brass Quintet, donating profits from CD sales to ‘The Christie NHS Foundation Trust’, Manchester.
Shean Bowers is Assistant Director of Music and Choral Director for Schools at Bath Abbey. He has held this post since September 2010, having previously been Director of Music at St. Saviour’s Church, Oxton, Director of The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Training Choir and Organ Scholar at Liverpool Cathedral.
Shean’s musical career began at an early age, when he was accepted as a chorister into the Choir of Liverpool Cathedral. Scholarship grants enabled Shean to study the organ with Professor Ian Tracey. He was then awarded a scholarship to study at Chetham’s School of Music with Daniel Moult; The Royal Academy of Music with David Titterington; Liverpool University with Dr. Noel Rawsthorne and The Royal Northern College of Music with Simon Lindley. Shean currently studies the organ with Dame Gillian Weir.
As an accompanist, recitalist and choir director, Shean has performed up and down the country as well as in France, Germany, Denmark and Israel. He has played as soloist with many orchestras including The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, Chetham’s School of Music Symphony Orchestra and The Bath Philharmonia. Shean enjoys performing with Joel Cooper in the ‘Jubilation Duo’ (Trumpet and Organ) at weddings, ceremonies, and recitals across the UK.